Welcome to the Virtual VS website
The Virtual VS is a software emulator for the Sequential Circuits Prophet VS vector synthesizer. The software allows any PC to emulate the features and classic sound of the Prophet VS. Think of it as being a virtual rackmount Prophet VS that sits inside your PC.
The synthesizer generates CD quality sound (16-bits at 44100 Hz). The output is more or less faithful to the original Prophet VS. I am interested in hearing from anyone who has practical suggestions on improving sound quality.
The synthesizer accepts MIDI commands coming in over your MIDI port. It can also output commands over the port. When connected to a real Prophet VS, patches can be transferred to and from the Virtual VS.
June 12, 2004
Version 1.1 software is released. Get it in the attachments section below.
- Bug fix: PCM data handling changed from unsigned to signed
- Fixed audio popping box. Audio is now stored as signed, instead of unsigned. When unsigned, silence level was arbitrary. Now silence level = zero. This reduces pops and generally improves the quality of generated audio.
- Fixed foot pedal I/O bug
- Added support for white noise generation
- Waveform mixing / final output volume improved
- Audio enable/disable circuit now supported
- Filtering greatly improved
- Preliminary support for multiple playback sampling rates
June 9, 2004
Site goes online. Version 1.0 software is released. Get it in the attachments section below.
Note: filter emulation is not that good yet, but gets the job done. If anyone can assist in improving the analog filter section, I'd be interested in hearing from you.